Do you have a discolored or chipped tooth? Are you looking to revitalize the look of your smile?
Raleigh, NC dentist Dr. Emily Ann Reece helps patients renew their smiles with porcelain veneer treatment. Dental veneers made of porcelain ceramic offer a more natural look as porcelain reflects light. This cosmetic dental treatment enhances the appearance of one or more teeth. If you want to improve your smile, contact Reedy Creek Family and Cosmetic Dentistry today.
Porcelain Veneer Treatment
Dental veneer treatment take several steps:
- Evaluation and Examination: To begin, Dr. Reece will inspect the teeth, gums, mouth, jaw joints, and muscles. This allows her to identify any damage to the teeth and identify the root cause of your dental problem. With this examination, Dr. Reece can see the problem and help prevent future damage to the porcelain veneers.
- Preparation and Temporary Veneers: Once porcelain veneer treatment is chosen, Dr. Reece will remove a small amount of the natural tooth structure to allow for the proper fit and placement of the permanent porcelain veneers. She will take impressions of the teeth to ensure a custom fit. While your porcelain veneers are being crafted, Dr. Reece will give you temporary dental veneers to protect your teeth. These veneers can be worn for up to three weeks while the permanent restoration is fabricated.
- Final Placement: When your custom porcelain veneers are complete, Dr. Reece will apply them to your teeth and check their fit and comfort. Then the veneers will be permanently bonded to the teeth and polished.
Recovery and Post Porcelain Veneer Care
Recovering from porcelain veneer treatment is easy and quick. Most people can resume their daily activities right after the procedure. However, there are some people who may experience some sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures and a little bit of discomfort afterwards. This typically only lasts for a few days after treatment before disappearing. Your dentist may suggest that you avoid certain foods or drinks for a few days after your appointment. This includes hard, sticky, or overly chewy foods.
The long term care of your porcelain veneers is important. Proper care and maintenance will help them last for as long as possible. Here some basics things you should do to ensure the longevity of your dental veneers:
- Brush your teeth twice a day if not more. You also need to floss daily to remove food particles and plaque from in between your teeth. This is vital to preventing tooth decay and gum disease. We recommend a soft bristle toothbrush and nonabrasive toothpaste to avoid harming the teeth veneers.
- If you grind your teeth or clench your jaw, you need to protect your teeth by wearing a nightguard or mouthguard. This habit that typically occurs at night can ruin your porcelain veneers very easily.
- While porcelain veneers are very sturdy and durable, they can be damaged. We suggest avoiding hard and chewy candy and foods. Simply biting and chewing into such things like ice or hard candy can damage your teeth veneers.
- Visiting your dentist regularly will ensure that your porcelain veneers and your dental health are in good shape. Your dental may be able to spot any issues early on and offer treatment before it gets worse.
Porcelain Veneers FAQs
Learn more about porcelain veneers by reviewing our frequently asked questions section. We hope to address any questions you may but please contact us if you have any further inquiries.
How much do porcelain veneers cost?
There are several factors that go into the price of veneers, including the material, the patient’s cosmetic goals, and the size and location of the treated tooth or teeth. Request a consultation with Dr. Reece. She will help you determine the cost of your specific treatment.
How long do porcelain veneers last?
Several years following your treatment, it is common that you will need some minor repair or maintenance. The best way to ensure that your veneers are long-lasting is to maintain a healthy diet, oral health routine, and biannual visits to our office. Porcelain veneers can last for more than 10 years. We can replace your veneer if it falls out or is damaged.
Some cosmetic treatments such as tooth bonding do not last as long as porcelain veneers. Most patients need touch-ups in about five years or less.
What are the pros and cons of porcelain veneers?
Porcelain veneers are durable and stain-resistant. They also look and feel more like natural teeth compared to alternatives like Lumineers or tooth bonding. Because dental veneers are irreversible, some patients may want to try dental bonding, as it requires little to no tooth preparation and is not permanent.
How are porcelain veneers attached?
Our dental veneers are attached to a non-toxic material that is immediately cured. This material is mouth-safe for all patients.
Do porcelain veneers hurt?
No, porcelain veneers don’t hurt. If anything, you’ll feel some sensitivity for a few days after the procedure. The dentist removes some tooth structure to make room for the veneer. This is what can cause some discomfort.
Do veneers get cavities?
Veneers themselves aren’t susceptible to tooth decay. However, your natural teeth are still under the veneers and these are susceptible. Keep up with a regular brushing and flossing routine to avoid problems with tooth decay.
Do porcelain veneers stay white?
Dental ceramic is stain-resistant and may actually stay whiter longer than your natural teeth. However, it still stains over time. Porcelain veneers aren’t responsive to traditional whitening techniques. If your veneers stain, they’ll have to be replaced by a new veneer.
Am I a good candidate for porcelain veneers?
Porcelain veneers are a permanent restoration, so it’s important to make sure you’re committed to the treatment. They’re a top choice for patients that have mild to moderate cosmetic concerns. They can also treat a wide variety of issues, so they’re a good option for many patients. In our office, the dentist meets with you to discuss your cosmetic goals, budget, and performs an oral exam to see if veneers are right for you.
Receive Porcelain Veneers Today
Call 919.646.6294 to receive dental veneer treatment at Reedy Creek Family and Cosmetic Dentistry. Request an appointment with Dr. Reece online.